Cucumbers are low in calories and contain a good amount of water and soluble fiber, making them ideal for promoting hydration and aiding in weight loss. Green cucumbers are a popular variety of spined cucumbers that are consumed as salads in every Indian home. Packed with vitamins and minerals, they are a great option for cooling down the body and increasing hydration owing to their water content. Excellent diet food option, these members of the watermelon family have good fiber content.
|Plant||Large plant, Vine|
|Maturity||Harvest starts from 55-70 days from sowing|
|Environment||Well-drained red loamy soil. Natural full sunlight. 6 to 8 hrs.|
|Height after growth||1 foot|
|Planting Season||Summer Season|
|Watering||Daily, Water whenever surface soil is dry.|
|Planting & Growing Instructions||Direct seeds sowing. Sow the seeds 2 cm deep. Regularly apply nutrients and plant protection. Bed Sowing in 24 inches to 3 feet distance.|
Note: Used as seeds only and not for consumption. Seeds to be sown before the expiry date.
Planting And Care:
- Fill a container of your choice, with drainage holes, with 2 part garden soil & 1 part organic manure or 1 part garden soil, 1 part coco peat & 1 part Vermicompost.
- Sow 2 cucumber seeds at the center of your container and if you are sowing directly ot raised bed, sow two seeds at a spacing of 3 x 3 ft.
- Push the seeds into the growing medium and cover it completely with the surrounding soil, up to twice the size of the seed.
- Water the sown seedbed immediately with a watering can to ensure an even light shower.
- The cucumber plant requires full sunlight so plant the seeds in a sunny spot.
- Fill the cells/cups with a moist coco-peat medium.
Bottle gourd Special Pride Care:
- Your cucumber seeds will germinate within the first 6 – 8 days after sowing the seeds with tiny sprouts
- After the second week, keep only a single seedling in one spot. Cut off the weak, small & lagging seedlings with a pair of scissors.
- Water the cucumber plant every day in summer with a watering can to make sure your plant gets water in the form of a shower or use a drip irrigation system.
- Add good quality 2:1 ratio organic manure before sowing seeds. It can either be well rotten cow dung manure, farmyard manure, Compost or Vermicompost.
- When your cucumber plant is more than 45 days old, feed one handful of Vermicompost in the soil around each plant.
- Keep a watch for early signs of any insect/fungal or any other infections. Use appropriate medicines if you notice any of these signs.
- The plant will start flowering in the second month and to increase the yield, take pollen from the male flower on a painting brush or cotton bud & dust them on the ‘stigma’ of the female flowers. The cucumbers will be ready to harvest after 60 days from sowing and can continue for up to 3 months.
- Hold the seeds and sow 2-3 seeds per cell/cup. Since Lavender seeds are small in size, do not sow them deep
Why are my Cucumber seeds not germinating?
Growing conditions like moisture, improper soil temperature, overwatering or under watering can all be a reason why your seeds are not germinating.
Why are flowers on my cucumber plant not producing cucumbers?
The cucumber plant has both male and female flowers. The male flowers bloom much before the female flowers. So it is possible that these flowers are not producing any fruit yet because they are male flowers. However, if despite having abundant male and female flowers if your plant is not producing any cucumbers, it can be due to lack of pollination. To avoid this you can try hand pollination. Take pollens from the male flower on a painting brush or cotton bud & dust them on the ‘stigma’ of female flowers.
Why are my cucumber seedlings wilting?
Overwatering is the main cause of wilting. Too much water can drown your seedlings and deprive their roots of air, which leads to wilting and your seedlings might eventually die.